Saturday, April 4, 2009

Final Project- Sew What?




So! I haven't filled you all in on my final project idea! ... wait for it... a How-To Video on how to use a Sewing Machine! Ok, so it may seem super lame to those of you who don't know the context. First of all, I decided to take a final project from Education Aesthetics course, and make a technical spin on it! For EAES, we had to do a personal arts project, something that we've never tried before, and I decided to learn how to sew my own outfits. The result was a fantabulous apron, well I think it was fantabulous because it took a lot of time and energy. You see, I am a SERIAL non-reader of instructions. ... I guess it's a way of rebelling against myself- "I can figure this out on my own!" I would think to myself. haha. So, that was a feat in itself. When I heard about the personal arts project I went online and tried to find an instructional video on how to use my brand-new sewing machine I got for Christmas. However, what I found for how-to's was extremely disappointing. Have you ever seen that really old-school art show, usually on saturday mornings (in sindication anyway), of Bob the "fro guy" who teaches you how to whip up scenic pictures using dark sienna #22, and minted green #45. Aaah, I loved that show. I always took solace in his calm, soothing voice telling you to add a "little lonely birch tree" in the bottom right of the canvas. "Yeah, just like that...". Unfortunately, his wonderful dryness did not translate to the lame instructional videos I found on You-Tube. Sewing can be fun! And better yet, I will demonstrate a NEW model of a sewing machine, not an ancient beast of a machine from your grandmother's days. I want it to be simple and understandable. No longer, will you be a slave to Old Navy. My goal with this how-to vid is to inspire and introduce you to a way of personalizing, customizing and creating your image. ;)
My new sony video-camera, iMovie and last but not least, my awesome friend Robbie will be my tools for this Final Project.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's SUPER-fantabulous - and that picture doesn't look anything like the real one. There must be some funky flash/colour going on there. I really like your apron :) Can't wait to see the video! I've made a 'list of things to learn' after being so inspired by everyone's Personal Arts Projects, and yours is definitely on the list. Your video will help me out with that!

    ReplyDelete