Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Learning Proposal


A. My Goal: The goal for me this semester is, foremost, to become comfortable with the guitar as an instrument. Second, I would like to learn and perfect the D, C, A, and G chords involved in the song “You and Me Are Gonna Be Friends” by The White Stripes. It is a simple song in that the fingering is not too complicated, but complicated in that it has 4 different chords in it, and complicated enough for a beginner.

B. Learning Materials: My brother, Danny, will be my most important tool in this endeavour. Although he is not a professional guitar player, he is extremely good at it, and has taken several guitar lessons throughout the years. He is also a very patient and willing teacher. I will also use various internet sites, including YouTube to learn how to play the song, as well as familiarize myself with other notes and chords so I can employ the acoustic guitar in my future classroom. I will be using my dad's acoustic guitar instead of a classical guitar.

C.Documenting Progress: I have already created a blog to document my progress. (http://sarahplainandtall21.blogspot.com/)
I will be posting journals as to how my learning/practice sessions are progressing. I already have, and will continue to video record some of Danny and I's sessions, and post them to my blog. I will be scanning any sheets and collected materials, including resource lists, I have found in my travels that I think are useful. As well, I will upload videos that I have found informative and possibly helpful to others.

D.Preliminary Timeline: I plan to practice 3-4 times a week, with at least 1 learning session with my teacher per week. I plan to record these learning sessions, and post them to my blog. I will write once or twice a week on my progress of my practice sessions. I also intend to research sites and videos that may help with along the way.

E. Trouble Shooting:
Obstacles:
1.Procrastination: I have already got the mind set that if I leave it until the end, I will just cause more stress for myself than necessary. I really want to space out my practices evenly so I am not overwhelmed at the end of the semester, and can hopefully produce a worthwhile product for you!
2.Slight Tendinitis: In my left wrist, mostly caused from carrying heavy trays around as a server, I have a slight case of tendinitis. Twist my wrist in odd ways seems to flare it up, so I will take breaks so as not to strain it. As well, I will see if I can wear my brace while playing
3.Frustration: A common symptom when learning something new. I will remind myself that this is a process, and that I will not be a pro by the end of the semester, and that this assignment's purpose is to spark an interest and to hopefully utilize the guitar one day in a future classroom.

F. Critical Friend:
I have chosen my brother Danny as my critical friend and teacher. I will also be using my father as a critical friend, since I am using his acoustic guitar.

G. Reward: As my reward, I will reward my critical friend Danny to whatever he wishes, perhaps we will got for dinner and a movie, or I will take him on a shopping trip. I know it sounds cheesy, but we are very close, and if he scratches my back, I will scratch his back, and that is all the reward I need. :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great Sarah! Best of luck to you, it sounds like a great song and you seem to have a wonderful critical friend to be there for you :) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete