Friday, January 30, 2009

You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

I would like to thank Robin Howell for helping me out with my tech tasks. I was so confused! In turn, I taught her techniques for pen and ink for our EAES class assingment. In the end, we scrathched each other's back. This reminded me of a story that my friend Jon once told me on the way to Pemberton Music festival. "They" (I love saying that, it's so funny-who are THEY?)... Anyway, they once did a study researching what makes everyone happy. They examined accross various aspects of diversity, mainly culture, of a universal cause of happiness. In the end, it turned out that everyone agreed that reciprocation was a universal cause of happiness. Everyone wants to feel like they can contribute, and in turn, they want to feel appreciated for their contributions. Which brings me to another point. Connotations of words. Most people think that "selfish" is a bad word. It implies the evilness that I was just talking about. However, the word selfish, which is in the end really what drives us to survive and get what we want, is not a bad thing. Helping out at Souls Harbour gives people a warm-fuzzy feeling... this is selfish. They are hoping to get that feeling, and this is not a bad thing. ... Wow, that was a rant-and-half. In any case, the moral of the story is, reciprocation is the key to happiness. So go ahead, do something nice, spread the good karma.

4 comments:

  1. *blushes* Thanks Sarah - you really helped me out a lot with starting my pointalism project. My sister and I are going to Colors this afternoon when she's done school. Maybe I'll be inspired while I'm there, or find a cool book on calligraphy.
    See you soon!
    -Robin
    http://metro-racer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I totally agree with the fact that reciprocation is a key to happiness. I am a firm believer in karma and am always trying to spread the good stuff. So keep up the flow of good vibes, as someone will always benefit, even if it is just yourself and that aint selfish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would totally admit to being selfish. After reading Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead," I realized creativity and originality comes from selfishness, ie: in the search for personal artistic expression if you compromise your interests in favour of anothers' are you being truly freely creative? If you never put your own interests and ideas before others than how can your voice be heard? Someone needs to insert their opinions and ideas to the public whenever any new invention is created...it takes guts to be able to believe so strongly in your ideas. BUT there is a limit to freedom of expression which involves respecting other people, which I believe is essential. In that sense I think there is a give-take sort of relationship to creativity and freedom...wow, I sort of ranted there...I enjoyed your post, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom always said you have to put yourself first if you want to get anywhere, and over the years I have found this to be true. If you aren't happy with yourself it is hard to be happy with the people around you. If you do things because You want to do them then it shouldn't matter what other people think. I believe in the quote, once said by Kurt Cobain, but who knows where it came form before then: "Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone." This relates to being selfish, and I guess I am proud to say that I am a selfish person. I agree with you Sarah that it is not always a "bad word." I also like how Erika added that it is kind of a give and take type of thing where you need to respect others (another thing that is a high priority for me along with standing up for what I believe in).

    Amber
    http://ambers-ecmpblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete