Friday, January 30, 2009

Google Tools

So, I've been checking out the Google Tools, and I must say, they are awesome! No sugar coating here, I really think they are easy to use... and to someone who is utterly technologically illiterate, that is a grrrreat thing!

I like the idea behind Picasa. I'm not sure exactly how I would use it in the classroom, but I would definitely use it for personal use. It's intelligent design actually locates and sorts photos on your computer, then organizes them into simple titled folders based on the dates they were taken/added. I have a million photos, so this would be a great tool.

It took a while for me to wrap my head around the idea, but as I explore and add to my own blog, the more I think that utilizing Blogger in the classroom would be helpful. The use of technology in classrooms frankly overwhelmes me, and scares me. This is probably based on my view that the inclusive use of technology in the classroom would create a cold climate, in which students would forget to be human... but as I explore these new functions, I realize that technology is made to compliment daily lives, not create robots out of children. (If that makes any sense.)

Google Calender is a great tool for staying organized, as well as communicating with students so they know what to look forward to in future classes, so they feel prepared for their semester. Teachers can say "ok kids, don't forget to bring your pencil crayons on the 3rd of February for Social Studies."

In anycase, no matter how confusing all of these tools seem now, the more I explore them, the more comfortable I will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment